Risk Based Supervision & Regulation of Banks
By: Euromoney Financial Training
Aug 11 - 15 Aug, 2014
Regulators and independent auditors must be equipped to evaluate the ability for the financial institutions they supervise to adequately develop and implement risk and governance frameworks. This course shows participants how to design, develop and execute such an assessment process in light of the practical realities of both G7 and emerging financial markets and with respect to global, best-practice. Our starting point is a review of the general areas for consideration and inclusion within a generic review. While discussing each of these areas, we provide a demonstration of best-practice implementation of each.
This is followed by the development of an institution-level scorecard and a demonstration of how each relevant area can be tested, evaluated and scored. Lastly, we discuss how supervisors and auditors can put the entities they review on a roadmap towards improvement.
This intensive five day course will enable you to:
- Structure and conduct a proper review and assessment of a banking institution, including:
- Best approaches to take in first and departing contact with banking executives, internal auditors, compliance and risk management personnel
- Supervisory team skills
- Time-budget considerations
- Key items to review and include
- Red flags, white flags and key factors to watch out for
- Learn about the regulatory backdrop and structure surrounding most financial institutions, including governance, Basel III and liquidity requirements
- Understand the establishment of market-specific criterion that incorporate local and prevailing market conditions
- Evaluate an institution’s corporate governance structure, board and management effectiveness, and its strategic risks, as well as overall risk management framework
- Implement various best-practice methods; including what to watch out for in reviewing and auditing technical and risk modelling implementations
- Insight into the essential elements necessary in validating an internal credit, market and operational risk methods and processes
- Implement and utilise ICT and decision support tools, necessary for the modern banking
Who should attend?
- Current and aspiring CFOs
- Senior Finance Executives
- Current and aspiring Finance Directors
- Financial Controllers
- Executive Board Directors
Facilitators: The course instructor is an experienced executive, Chief Risk Officer (CRO), board member and consultant. He is the founder and CEO of a consulting firm that conducts investment due diligence of corporates and banks, specialising in emerging and frontier markets. He is a sought after speaker on risk oversight, strategy and corporate governance but has also trained numerous management teams in predictive analytics, market intelligence acquisition and internal model development for Basel II & Basel III purposes.
Venue: Central London Hotel Venue, London, UK