The course starts with the principles of portfolio management and key concepts of risk and return for a portfolio, before taking a detailed look at the major asset classes commonly found in portfoliosÍ¾ namely equity and debt instruments and how these instruments are valued and combined in an investment portfolio.
You will also look at nontraditional asset classes such as alternative investments and the benefits and challenges associated with incorporating such investments into a portfolio. Finally, the programme concludes with the fundamentals of performance measurement to enable participants to assess the success or failure of a portfolio in the context of the risk taken.
Using case studies throughout and concluding with an assessment of a mixed portfolio of different asset classes drawing on the previous days’ content, the overriding objective of the course is to provide an understanding of the investment management process from beginning to end and the key challenges faced throughout this process.
How will this course assist you?
On completion of 4 day training course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the key elements of the investment process including modern portfolio theory.
- Understand the valuation and investment approaches for bonds, equities and alternative investments.
- Appreciate the specifics of portfolio construction in different markets.
- Gain an insight in alternative investment strategies and the key differences between alternative asset classes from an investment management perspective.
- Learn about performance measurement, evaluation and attribution.
Who should attend?
- Portfolio managers
- Equity and fixed income analysts
- Wealth managers and private bankers
- Independent financial advisors
- Back and middle office professionals
- Pension fund trustees