The goal of this course is to create awareness and advance knowledge about issues in business ethics and supply chain social responsibility. Through readings, discussions, mini-cases and exercises, participants will learn about a broad range of social responsibility factors, such as ethics, environmental concerns and “fair trade.”
- Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Describe the different perspectives on ethics and social responsibility.
- Explain the relationship between business ethics and corporate social responsibility.
- Critique an organizational ethics statement.
- Identify the various stakeholders with interests in ethical issues.
- Discuss the rationale and potential benefits of sustainable supply chains.
- Identify opportunities for your organization to create a greener supply chain.
- Evaluate your organization’s policy on discrimination and harassment.
- Create a social responsibility policy for your organization.
Introduction to Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
- Ethics: Definition and Tradition Define business ethics and describe different perspectives on ethics.
- Critique and organizational ethics statement.
- Regulatory Codes of Ethics
- Stakeholders identify various stakeholders with interests in ethical issues in the context of their organizations.
- Social Responsibility Explain the relationship between business ethics and corporate social responsibility.
- Ethical Orientation
- The Polluter’s Dilemma
- Sustainable Supply Chains Discuss the rationale and potential benefits of sustainable supply chains.
- Carbon Footprint Identify opportunities for your organization to create a greener supply chain.
- Calculate the carbon footprints.
- ISO 14000 Evaluate the potential of ISO 14000 for their organization and supply chain.
Discrimination and Harassment: The Law
- Defining Discrimination and Harassment Know the federal and provincial laws covering discrimination and harassment.
- Organizational Policy Comment on your organization’s policy on discrimination and harassment
- Sexual Harassment Mini-case Discuss the impact of discrimination on organizational productivity.
- International Labor Organization (ILO) Standards To explain the ILO standards
- ISM Principles To identify safety and security issues within your organization, and among key members of your supply chain
- Free Trade versus Fair Trade Be familiar with distinctions between free trade and fair trade, and determine your organization’s view on free versus fair trade.
- Kraft and Rainforest Alliance
- Community and the Organization
- Examples of Community Involvement Identify opportunities for their organizations to become more involved in the local community.
Social Responsibility Presentations
- Propose a statement of social responsibility to a group of their peers
- Question and or Comment on such a statement delivered by someone else.
Social Responsibility Report and Workshop Wrap Up
- Begin preparation of their workshop final report.
- Discuss the key concepts covered during the session.
- Discuss how they would apply the concepts in their organization.
- Prepare a final report