Agro-Forestry Extension Management for Sustainable Agricultural Production (ARM 351)
By: Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute (ARMTI)
Kwara State, Nigeria
Jun 08 - 12 Jun, 2015
The massive loss of soil fertility of agricultural land throughout the country has raised fundamental questions on the efficiency of land-use practices and management. Agro-forestry has been identified as a viable agricultural practice option that could sustain agricultural soil productivity but this advantage is yet to be realized by the farmers. This may be traced to the fact that extension has not been able to sufficiently transfer agro-forestry technologies to farmers. There is, therefore, the need for effective methods to get all the stakeholders involved in sustainable agro-forestry practices.
This course aims at improving the capability of participants to impart knowledge and skills with a view to improving farmers’ income and the performance of the forestry sub-sector. At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Explain the concept of agro-forestry
- Select and use appropriate extension communication methods
- Plan, organize and manage agro-forestry practices
- Overview of agro-forestry
- Economic value of forest trees and non-timber forest products
- Planning and organizing for agro-forestry intervention
- Managing agro-forestry resources
- Agro-forestry extension methods
- Preparation and production of audio-visual materials
- Management of human resources involved in agro-forestry
- Research-extension-farmers-input linkage system (REFILS) in agro-forestry
- Gender issues in agro-forestry.
Lecturettes, group discussions, case studies and study visits.
Who Should Attend?
Forestry and Agricultural Officers at Federal, State and Local Government Levels; Officers working in Forestry Projects and Land Resources Departments; Subject-Matter-Specialists and Extension Officers in ADPs; Officers in Federal and State Ministries of Environment, RBDAs, Ministry of Water Resources and Rural Development, Environmental Protection Agencies, CSDP, NGOs and CBOs
Venue: ARMTI, Km. 18, Ilorin-Ajase-Ipo Highway, Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria