As a major step towards revitalizing agriculture and bringing it back to its past glory, the present near-collapse of marketing of agricultural produce must be addressed. Accordingly, a sustainable and decisive mechanism has been put in place by introducing marketing extension component into the National Programme for Food Security (NPFS). However, studies carried out have revealed that both the Nigerian farmers and the Extension Agents have little or no knowledge of modern marketing techniques of agricultural produce.
This training workshop aims at equipping participants with the relevant knowledge, techniques and skills of marketing in order to add value to farm produce. At the end of the workshop, the participants should be able to:
- Provide requisite marketing information to the farming communities
- Train farmer to develop quality products for marketing
- Link farmers with relevant stakeholders
- Facilitation of agricultural marketing extension training
- Overview concept of extension and advisory services
- Concept and principles of participatory extension
- Introduction to agricultural produce marketing
- Marketing and processing of complementary crops
- Marketing/improving shelf-life of horticultural crops
- Profitable livestock marketing
- Marketing channels for export produce
- Cooperatives for produce marketing
Lecturettes, group exercises, plenary presentation sessions, study visits to markets, case studies, role plays etc.
Who Should Attend?
Extension Officers included in the NPFS, Marketing and Extension Officers of the Multi-Commodity Development and Marketing Companies (Arable Crops, Tree Crops, Livestock and Fisheries Development), Marketing Officers of public and private farms, practicing farmers etc.