Agriculture remains one of the most viable and sustainable means of alleviating poverty, but shortage of finance is a major constraint to its contribution to economic development. Indeed, most agricultural activities are excluded from formal source of funding. However, efforts by government and NGOs to fund agriculture have not yielded the desired results because the funds to the sector are not properly focused and directed. Value chain financing in agriculture offers an opportunity to increase the scope, and reduce the cost and risk of financing to agriculture. It also helps agricultural financing to be more inclusive, by making resources available to smallholders and for agriculture to be integrated into higher value market opportunities. However, managers in ARD and other finance institutions have inadequate skills in agricultural value chain financing.
This course is designed to improve knowledge and skills of the participants in agricultural value chain financing. At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Define value chain financing concepts
- Identify financial opportunities to strengthen value chains
- Identify innovations for commodity value chain financing
- Facilitate risk reduction and access to finance/credit in commodity value chain development
- Apply value chain principles to design financial products to meet the needs of various actors in the value chain.
- Overview of value chain development in agriculture
- Needs and challenges for value chain finance
- Improving value chain financing through innovation
- Agricultural value chain financing risk management
- Development of financial products in commodity value chain
- Value chain financing for smallholder commercialization using the commercial village model
- Sourcing and mobilization of funds for agricultural financing
- Gender and vulnerable group issues in agricultural value chain financing.
- The role of ICT in agricultural value chain financing
- Clients’ credit needs analysis.
- Enterprise implementation, monitoring and evaluation of value chain finance.
Lecturettes, group discussions, case studies, exercises etc.
Who Should Attend?
Farm Managers and Finance Managers in the ARD sector; Operation Managers, Accountants, Credit Officers, Risk Managers, Internal Auditors, Relationship Officers, other professionals in Bank of Agriculture and other financial Institutions; Extension/Field officers of Community Development Units of Oil companies, etc.