Poverty is increasing due to the high rate of unemployment especially among the youths in Nigeria. This has continued to pose difficult socio-economic problems. Small and medium enterprises play a critical role in the growth and development in the economy of a developing country. The eradication of absolute poverty could be addressed through creation of small and medium enterprises to generate employment opportunities, thereby increasing the income level of the productive sector. However, there is inadequate entrepreneurial skills among the rural populace which had often contributed to low enterprise development.
This course is designed to develop the knowledge and skills of potential and existing entrepreneurs to generate employment opportunities. At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Describe the process of enterprise development
- Identify various small-scale investment options available in the rural/urban sectors
- Formulate, design and develop business plan
- Identify, source and optimize use of funds
- Manage business enterprise effectively
- Concept of small and medium enterprises
- Potential contribution of SMEs to economy
- Determining economically feasible and sustainable Enterprises
- Sourcing for, gaining access to and utilizing funds
- Developing and implementing business plans
- Management of marketing operations
- Evaluating and mapping out the sustainability potentials
- Human resource management in SMEs
Lecturettes, exercises, case studies, group discussions and study visit.
Who Should Attend?
Beneficiaries/participants of Poverty Alleviation/Eradication Programmes, National Directorate of Employment, Income generating programmes in the Ministry of Women Affairs at Federal and State levels, NGOs, CBOs, Entrepreneurs, young graduates and those about to retire from public and private sectors.