The rising fear of corporate failure has put pressure on governments and boards globally to reinvent strategies aimed at strengthening sector corporate governance. It is imperative for policy makers and directors of public and private organizations to improve and expedite the board‘s effectiveness. Most often there exists a dichotomy between the board and management in some organizations, which sometimes leads to conflicts and discord within the organization. Also, boardroom politics and shareholders responsiveness have led to incessant altercation.
The effectiveness with which boards discharge their corporate and statutory responsibilities substantially affects the performance of their organizations. Therefore, there is need to cultivate and maintain the right balance between the board and management.
This workshop is organized to equip participants from public and private sectors with the required skills to strengthen corporate governance system for the attainment of overall organizational goals.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify key issues in corporate governance
- Highlight key indicators of good corporate governance
- Describe the linkage between corporate governance and competitiveness
- Describe the board‘s responsibilities to all the major shareholders
- Identify the challenges of running effective boards in Nigeria
- Describe the challenges of corporate social responsibilities.
- Overview of Contemporary Issues in Corporate Governance (Public-Private sector perspectives)
- Elements of Good Corporate Governance
- Good Governance for National Development and Growth
- Corporate Governance: The Role and Responsibility of the Boards
- Strategies for Promoting Corporate Governance
- Corporate Ethics and Values
- The Principles and Benefits of Public- Private Good Governance
- Good Governance: Public-Private Partnerships
- Best Practices in Public-Private Corporate Governance
The programme will be delivered using formal lectures, discussions, syndicate work and case studies. Audio-visual aids will be used to enhance learning.
The programme is designed for Members of Boards of Organizations and Top Management Staff.