We make decisions and solve problems continually. We start making decisions before we even get out of bed (shall I get up now or not?). Sometimes, we will have made as many as 50 decisions by the time we leave for work. Despite all the natural decision making that goes on and the problem solving we do, some people are very uncomfortable with having to make decisions. You may know someone who has a hard time making decisions about what to eat, never mind the internal wrestling they go through in order to take on major decisions at work. Likewise, we’ve probably all looked at a solution to something and said, “I could have thought of that.” The key to finding creative solutions is not just creativity, although that will certainly help.
The answer rests in our ability to identify options, research them, and then put things together in a way that works. Having a process to work through can take the anxiety out of problem solving and make decisions easier. That’s what this course is all about.
- Apply problem solving steps and tools.
- Analyse information to clearly describe problems. Identify appropriate solutions.
- Think creatively and be a contributing member of a problem solving team.
- Select the best approach for making decisions.
- Create a plan for implementing, evaluating, and following up on decisions.
- Avoid common decision-making mistakes.