The role of the chair in particular has assumed greater significance, visibility and complexity than in the past. Today, it requires an increasingly different skill set and distinctive form of engaged, informed and strong board leadership. From setting direction and shaping strategy to acting as the pivot between the board, CEO and external stakeholders, the demands and challenges facing chairs are ever-increasing. In this context, the need for an exceptional chair has never been more crucial in board effectiveness and influencing organisational performance and direction.
INSEAD's Leading from the Chair programme provides chairs with the opportunity to discover, share and practice techniques for achieving higher levels of board effectiveness while facing a variety of situations and contexts. Through board simulation workshops, faculty based individual coaching and best practice exchanges with highly experienced peers worldwide, the programme is designed to sharpen your skills on how to lead an effective and high performing board, that can effectively set and implement the company's direction and strategy.
The programme focuses on three key areas that are vital in leading and chairing an effective board - chair responsibilities, chair competencies and skills and crisis events.
- Deepen your understanding of how board and chair roles are changing – and share best practices with international peers
- Improve your ability to organise and conduct effective meetings
- Acquire tools for coaching and developing the CEO and senior executives
- Hone your ability to challenge executives and board members through positive exchanges on the key issues that underpin corporate performance
- Better address pressures when facing a crisis