For effectiveness in business communications, this course focuses on making managers to:
- Become highly skilled in the use of English language
- Write memos, letters, reports, proposals excellently by presenting their contents with mechanical precision
- Organize their thoughts clearly before writing
- Know the techniques of outlining, drafting and revising their written messages
- Practice writing styles that are clear, concrete and courteous
- Pay attention to their spellings and punctuations
- Know the rules that guide the use of numerals in their written messages.
- Writing guidelines
- Essence of effective business writing
- Planning the writing
- Organizing thought before writing.
- Prewriting and planning
- Establishing purpose
- Clarifying readership
- Researching for facts
- Doing the writing
- Word usage
- Common errors in our use of English by Nigerians
- Word economy.
- The business writer’s attitudes
- Simplicity and conciseness
- Confused words
- Out-dated expressions
- Opinion words and expressions
- Look-alike words.
- Common writing problems
- Problem with clichés
- Parallelism problems
- Misplaced modifiers
- British v. American English.
- Attention to grammar
- Verb exercises
- Noun and pronoun exercises
- Editing techniques
- Formatting the writing
- Style and tone
- Body of letter
- Complimentary closure.
- Email guidelines
- The recipients
- Keeping it short
- File attachments
- Plain texts.
- Writing minutes of meetings
- Minutes - what it is, what it is not
- The importance of minutes
- Types of minutes
- Minutes format
- Steps to effective minutes
- Qualities of good minutes
- Types of report
- Information/investigation report
- Progress report
- Formal reports
- Informal reports
- Sopada formula
- The “need-to-know” v. “nice-to-know” reports
- Executive summary:
- The purpose of an executive summary
- Main stages and techniques of summarization
- Types of summaries
- Qualities of an effective executive summary
|5/7 Alade Lawal Street, Opposite Divisional Police Station, Off Ikorodu Road, Anthony, Lagos.
Registration: 8.30 - 9.00 a.m.
Class Session: 9.00 - 4.00 p.m.
||Jun 28 - 30 Jun, 2016
Discount of 5% to 3-4 participants from same organization.
Discount of 10% to 5 or more participants from same organization.