The training is based on theory and practical application through case studies of privatization and other alternatives throughout the world, ranging from examples of obvious failure such as the railways in the United Kingdom to apparent successes such as Kenya Airways. The emphasis of the course is on critical analysis of the alternatives.
At the end of the course delegates will:
- Discuss the variety of experiences of privatization in a wide range of sectors and countries
- Judge the desirability of privatization in different circumstances
- Advise on appropriate methods of privatization for different policy objectives
- Evaluate the results of privatization
- Advise on contractual arrangements between governments and private and voluntary sector service providers
- Explain public-private partnerships (PPPs), how they can be organized to produce value for money and the potential pitfalls
- Make a judgment on the future of the relationship between the public and private sectors.
- Why Privatize?
- Scale and Methods of Privatization in Africa, Latin America and Asia
- Impact of Privatization
- Case Studies in Privatization
- Outsourcing, Contracting and Competition
- Case Studies in Procurement
- Public-Private Partnerships
- The Future