Most discussion on people management assumes and is based on structured/established organizations. However, a rapidly growing business sector is the small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs).
Interestingly, this growth engine often have to grapple with a lot of issues, challenges and pressures causing them to either ignore or forget the human side of their enterprise or to give insufficient attention to people issues in their businesses. This often leads them to make human resource blunders that hurt profits and keep them from growing. However, doing so can lead to costly mistakes that could have serious consequences for the business.
This training course has been designed to address the issue of people management in SMEs, giving due consideration to the peculiarities of small businesses. Participants on this programme will be equipped to effectively function as HR role in SMEs, stimulate or support the growth agenda of their respective business utilizing HR toolkit.
At the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Learn HR best practices focused on helping small businesses be more efficient and effective
- Understand relevant employment legislation
- Learn proven techniques and strategies for hiring, compensating, developing and managing people
- Be able to effectively address conflicts, grievances and disciplinary issues
- Improve their performance management competences
- Acquire skills to drive ethics and governance through appropriate policies and procedures
- Know how to develop and use employee handbooks to promote standards and good conduct
Key Discussion Points
- Examining the peculiarities of SMEs relative to established enterprises
- The role of HR in business and why it is critical for SMEs
- Basic HR processes and procedures: Employee Handbook
- Getting the right people: Effective recruitment and retention strategies for SMEs
- Engagement and motivating strategies for SMEs
- Compensation, rewarding and recognizing staff
- Grievance handling and Disciplinary procedures in an SME
- Effective performance management
- Employment legislation - what small business needs to know
- Effective communication and feedback system
- Ending the employment relationship
Business Owners, Entrepreneurs, HR Managers and Executives working in small and medium scale enterprises and anyone in similar roles who desire to maximize human capital potentials in SME environment.