Over the years, government and development agencies have been promoting groups (either as Community-Based Organizations or Community Development Associations) in order to strengthen the collective self-help capacity of rural dwellers especially the vulnerable groups. These groups/associations have been accepted as a reliable vehicle for sustainable rural development. Hence group approach has been adopted in implementing grassroots programmes such as Fadama, CBARDP, CSDP and other projects adopting CDD approach for implementation. However, these groups/ associations, if not well managed, can mar delivery of development services provided through the projects and financial institutions.
This training course is designed to strengthen rural institutions by facilitating the establishment and management of functional groups/associations in project communities to drive development process at community level. At the end of the training, participants should be able to:
- Identify the potentials of groups/CDAs in ARD programme implementation
- Increase people’s participation in service delivery at local level
- Form viable and sustainable community project implementation committees
- Develop capacity of group members to manage group effectively.
- Roles and responsibilities of community-groups in ARD programmes implementation.
- Empowering community socio-economic institutions
- Formation and management of community project implementation committee.
- Group dynamics: conflict management, communication, decision-making and negotiation skills.
- Participative leadership skills
- Planning of community projects
- Financial record keeping
- Organization and administration of CBOs/Associations
Lecturettes, brainstorming, group discussions and exercises, role play, case studies and field study.
Who Should Attend?
Community-based project facilitators, CDD team members, CBOs/CDAs leaders, community animators, and staff of ARD agencies (CBARDP, Fadama, CSDP, NDDC), Ministry of Niger Delta including Community Development Units of Oil and Gas companies.