In Nigeria, the local government and other grassroots organs are the closest to the grassroots people in terms of affecting their wellbeing. This situation makes them the most likely to facilitate development efforts that can lead to sustainable improvement in the lives of the rural dwellers. However, most of the operatives at the local levels are not fully equipped with the enabling skills and attitudes to engender sustainable development at the grassroots.
This training course is designed to strengthen the capacity of grassroots development operatives to undertake participatory development. Specifically, at the end of course, participants should be able to:
- Identify community needs and priorities using participatory approaches
- Plan and implement people oriented projects
- Mobilize people for self-help
- Effectively monitor and evaluate development programmes.
- Overview of rural development in Nigeria
- Participatory learning and action: concepts and principles
- Situation analysis at community level
- Community needs identification
- Community programme planning process
- Establishment of community project implementation committees
- Gender issues in grassroots development
- Participatory monitoring and evaluation at the grassroots
Lecturettes, discussions, group exercises, role-play and study visits.
Who Should Attend?
Community Development Officers and Animators, Agricultural Officers, Staff of Ministry of Local Government and Local Government Service Commission, Engineers and other development workers at the Local Government and Area Councils, the River Basin Development Authorities, Oil companies, NGOs and CBOs.