One of the major concerns of the Nigerian government, as in other parts of the world, is how best to streamline public expenditure and improve allocation of scarce resources. Often times, some mismatch exists between government revenue and expenditure. The difficulty in adjusting expenditure levels to changes in resource profiles of government remains a serious problem in economic management.
This training workshop holding in Lagos State is designed to expose participants to the framework for public expenditure and enhance management of public funds.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Analyse the Nigerian experience in public expenditure management
- Discuss the role of the public sector in national development
- Apply appropriate methods in dealing with public expenditure management
- Identify the stages and elements of formulating a MTEF
- Articulate policy options and issues in the efficient management of public expenditure.
- Overview of public expenditure management in Nigeria
- Macroeconomic framework for public expenditure management
- Revenue forecasting and expenditure planning
- MTEF process and government budgeting
- Key steps in developing medium-term sector strategies
- Budget template and chart of accounts structure
- Monitoring and evaluation of public expenditure
- Policy issues in public expenditure management
Lectures, case analysis and group discussions. Audio-visual aids will be used to reinforce these learning methods.
Planning and budget officers, and other relevant officers and managers in the public and private sectors.
Mode of Assessment for Certification: 100 per cent attendance and active participation.
Contact Person: T. A. Osanyintuyi