The need for a sound, effective and efficient accounting system in the public sector cannot be overemphasized, particularly with the current economic restructuring and transformation in the country. Therefore, operating an efficient budgetary system and managing financial resources require relevant competence and framework.
Public sector establishments are expected to minimize bureaucracy and related overheads, manage their financial resources more competently to avoid project failure and abandonment.
This training workshop holding in Benue is designed to equip participants with the competences and skills required to effectively operate the Zero-Based Budgeting Framework in their respective organizations.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain the concept and principles of zero-based budgeting
- Highlight the process of utilizing medium term expenditure framework
- Use the zero-based budget as a tool for planning, implementing and controlling activities
- Understand the framework for zero-based budgeting
- Develop budget monitoring procedures.
- Overview of budget management in the public sector
- Budget performance management in the public sector, target setting and key performance indicators.
- Concepts and principles of zero-based budgeting
- MTSS/MTEF and budget planning
- Framework for zero-based budgeting
- Capital budgeting processes and the zero-based budgeting system
- Programmes costing and funding of budgets
- Project appraisal: tools and techniques
- Procurement planning and budget implementation
- Budget monitoring and evaluation
Methodology: Lectures, discussions, syndicate work, case studies and exercises. Audio-visual aids will be used to reinforce these learning methods.
The course is designed for planning and budget officers at the federal, state and local government levels, service managers, accountants and civil society interested in budget matters.
Mode of Assessment for Certification: 100 per cent attendance / active participation.
Contact Person: Mr. R. F. Elebesunu