The public service led by the civil service is the main instrument for implementing the policies and decision of government. They are often the only concrete manifestation of government for the citizens whether in the urban centres or in the remote rural areas.
A critical success factor in the realization of the lofty objectives of Government is a professional, competent and result-oriented public services with the impetus to effectively discharge its catalytic role of facilitating successful conception, planning, execution and monitoring of the policies, projects and programmes of Government.
The efficiency, effectiveness, conduct, fairness and integrity of the public servant often determines the citizen's opinion about the government. Because of its major role, there is need for laws and regulations to guide the actions of employees in the public service.
The public service rules were introduced as a set of laws guiding the conduct of public servants for the effective and efficient performance of his/her job. These rules are supposed to be mastered by all public servants especially newly employed officers.
This training workshop holding in Abuja is designed to equip participants with the relevant skills, knowledge and attitude required to be an efficient and effective public servant of Nigeria
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply effectively the code of conduct in the public service
- Outline the disciplinary procedure practiced in the public service
- Identify the need to promote integrity in service delivery
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in the public service
- Apply the principles of delegation and authority in the public service
- Explain the role of due process in institutionalizing transparency
- Overview of public service rules
- Code of conduct and ethics in government service
- Machinery of government in Nigeria
- Rights, duties and responsibilities of public officers
- Respect for rules, regulations and procedures in the public sector.
- Report writing and presentation
- Mode of communication in government
- Drafting and muniting
- Handling confidential documents and official information
- Financial regulations in government establishments
- Budgeting system in government
- Enhancing quality service delivery in the public sector
- Discipline and disciplinary procedures.
- Transparency and accountability measures in government.
Methodology: Lectures, discussions, syndicate work, case studies and exercises. Audio-visual aids will be used to reinforce these learning methods.
Newly recruited staff, irrespective of positions and cadres and all other staff that may need the workshop to improve on their knowledge of public service rules and regulations in federal, state and local governments in Nigeria.
Mode of Assessment for Certification: 100 per cent attendance / active participation.
Contact Person: Mr. R. F. Elebesunu