The broad objective of the workshop is to enable participants build the capacity required for the effective management of legal service department. Specifically, at the end of the workshop, the participants will be able to:
- Build requisite capacity for sustainable legal advice
- Protect the right of citizens
- Identify the usefulness of research to improve their functions.
Topics to be covered will include the following:
- Basic functions of management
- Overview of legal research
- Methods of data gathering, analysis and presentation
- Public service rules
- Procurement procedures
- Financial regulations
- Collective bargaining (substantive and procedural rules)
- Contract for and contract of appointment
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Dismissal and termination of appointment
- Litigation research
- Use of ICT in legal research.
The workshop is designed for all officers and members of staff of legal service departments in all the state judiciary, ministries, departments and agencies and their counterparts in the private sector of the economy.