Organisational and Human Resource Strategy Life Cycle: Human Resource Strategy Formulation, Implementation and Review
By: HRODC Postgraduate Training Institute
Jul 18 - 29 Jul, 2016
By the conclusion of the specified learning and development activities, delegates will be able
- Provide a succinct definition of strategy, that demonstrates it conceptual internalization
- Explain, with suitable examples, the 5ps of strategy, viz.
- Strategy as a plan
- Strategy as a 'ploy'
- Strategy as a pattern
- Strategy as a position
- strategy as a perspective
- Exhibit a heightened understanding of the ‘strategy process’
- Deconstruct strategic decisions, highlighting their major characteristics
- Explain the difference between strategy and strategic management, on the one hand,
and operational management, on the other
- Provide a contextualized definition of a strategic business unit
- Distinguish between differing organizational levels, in relation to management and
- Determine the differences in strategic priorities in relation to specific organizational
levels – viz. Corporate, business, and operational
- Exhibit a heightened understanding of the ‘corporate strategy model’
- Understand the basic vocabulary of strategy, as used in different contexts
- Define, with own organization’s examples, the issue of ‘strategic position’
- Illustrate the factors influencing effective strategic choice
- Demonstrate a heightened awareness of the concept of synergy, in the context of
effective organisational functioning; elucidate the contextual relationship between strategic alliance and 'synergistic gains'.
- Conduct an internal organisational analysis
- Conduct a strengths and weaknesses analysis
- Conduct an external organisational analysis
- Define the context of the external uncontrollable environment
- Determine their own organisation's external environment
- Suggest the opportunities available to their own organisation
- Identify any threats that the external environment pose to their own organisation's
- Create an 'internal-external organisational analysis matrix'
- Conduct a full-scale 'strengths - weakness - opportunities - threats
- Manage swot through 'exploitation' and 'circumvention'
Demonstrate an understanding of the opportunities and threats posed to their own
- political factors
- Economic factors
- Social factors
- Technological factors
- Environmental factors
- Legal factors.
- Conduct a 'PESTEL analysis'
- Perform an 'environmental scan', using porter’s five forces analysis:
- Supplier power
- Buyer power
- Competitive rivalry
- Threat of substitution
- Threat of new entry
- Conduct a 'competitive analysis', using porter's four corner’s analysis
- Current strategy
- Management assumptions
- Conduct a value chain analysis, using, company mission
- Industry type
- Value system
- Use an early warning scans to effect competitive analysis, on the basis of:
- Market definition
- Open systems
- Predictive intelligence.
- Communicating intelligence
- Contingency planning.
A Cyclical Process.
- Formulate competitive scenarios for war game simulations
- Exhibit an appreciation for the importance of the different success factors in the
operation of the organization.
- Understand the underlying concepts of key success factors
- Identify the different KSFS of their respective organisation/business.
- Determine what drives the business to succeed in the industry in which it is engaged.
- Determine how the KSFS can help the organization achieve its goals and missions.
- Ensure that the KSFS are correctly identified and pursued.
- Exhibit their ability to determine which among the KSFS will work effectively for their
- Formulate strategies to optimize the organisation’s /business’s performance.
- Establish the fundamentals of strategic planning
- Suggest ways to adapt to a changing environment more efficiently.
- Evaluate the efficiency of their organisation/business operations.
- Enumerate the various kinds of key result indicators.
- Distinguish between performance and result indicators.
- Demonstrate their understanding the underlying concepts of key performance
Venue: Jakarta, Indonesia