Working within any international environment requires diplomats and professionals to have an acute understanding and appreciation of the various layers of protocol. This is of particular importance when working with and for the United Nations as the many formal and informal, official and unofficial meetings and conferences require delegates to apply different protocol and formal rules.
By the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Compare the three layers of protocol that are relevant to a diplomat's mandate in Geneva: The protocol regulations of the Swiss Confederation, the Protocol regulations of the Republic and Canton of Geneva and the UNOG guidelines on diplomatic courtesy in Geneva
- Identify the procedures for welcoming Heads of States and other high ranking personalities at the airport of Geneva
- Apply the diplomatic courtesy rules and etiquette habits in use in Geneva.
Content and Structure
This workshop will focus on the rules of protocol in use in and around the United Nations Office at Geneva, including:
- Explanation of the specificities of protocol rules in Geneva
- Visit of the facilities of Geneva airport used for the arrival of “High Ranking Personalities"
- Presentation of the Swiss, Geneva and UN protocol rules
- Practical exercises and case studies.
The workshop is designed to be interactive and participatory, including various pedagogical tools to enable the participants to function effectively and efficiently in a multilateral environment. The course will be built on four pedagogical pillars: concept learning (lectures and presentations), role-playing (group exercises), experience sharing (roundtable discussions) and exposure to real world problems and policy choices delegates are confronted with.
This course is open to members of Permanent Missions and delegates of Ministries of Foreign Affairs and other government officials, representatives of international, intergovernmental, and non-governmental organizations. Senior managers from the private sector are equally invited to benefit from this unique course.