Course Contents, Concepts and Issues
Part 1: Business Research: Salient Issues
- Defining Research;
- Overview of Business Research;
- Importance of Research;
- Key Concepts of Research;
- Business Research and the Organisation;
- Research Skills;
- Research Process;
- Academic vs. Organisational Research;
- Role of the Supervisor.
Part 2: Developing a Research Topic
- Nature of the Topic;
- Characteristics of a Good Research Topic;
- Formulating Research Questions;
- Developing Aims and Objectives;
- Theory, Research Questions and Objectives.
Part 3: Conducting a Literature Review
- Nature of the Literature Review;
- Literature Review Process;
- Sources of Literature;
- Critical Review;
- Structure of a Literature Review.
- The Nature of Ethics;
- Importance of Ethics in Research;
- Ethics Responsibilities to Research Stakeholders;
- Ethics Cross Culture;
- Ethical Approval for Research Involving Human Subjects.
Part 5: Developing a Research Design
- Types of Research Study;
- Nature of Your Research Design;
- The Time Horizon;
- Testing the Quality of Research;
- The Research Proposal.
Part 6: Primary Data Collection
- What Are Primary Data?;
- Primary Data Collection Options;
- Introduction to Questionnaires and Interviews;
- Conducting Field Work within the Organisation;
- Cultural Issues and Data Collection;
- A Mixed Methods Approach to Data Collection;
- The Project Supervisor and the Primary Data Collection.
Part 7: Using Secondary Data
- What Are Secondary Data?;
- Reasons for Basing Your Research Project Entirely On Secondary Data;
- Business and Secondary Data;
- Internet as a Secondary Data Source;
- Literature Review vs. Secondary Data Analysis;
- Secondary Data Classifications;
- Advantages of Secondary Data;
- Disadvantages of Secondary Data;
- Evaluating Secondary Data;
- Presenting Secondary Data;
- The Project Supervisor and Secondary Data.
- Stages in the Sampling Process;
- Defining Your Target Population;
- Selecting Your Sampling Frame;
- Choosing Your Sampling Technique(S);
- Determining Your Sample Size;
- Collecting Your Data;
- Assessing Your Response Rate.
Part 9: Analysing Quantitative Data
- Defining Quantitative Data Analysis;
- Preparing Data Analysis;
- Summarising and Presenting Data;
- Describing Your Data;
- Inferential Statistics;
- Determining the Statistical Tests to Use;
- Statistical Software Packages.
Part 10: Analysing Qualitative Data
- Defining Qualitative Analysis;
- Steps in Qualitative Analysis;
- Transcribing Your Data;
- Reading and Generating Categories, Themes and Patterns;
- Interpreting Your Findings;
- Approaches to Qualitative Analysis;
- Quantifying Qualitative Data;
- Determining the Appropriate Qualitative Approach to Use In Analysing Data;
- Qualitative Analytical Software Packages.
Part 11: Writing and Presenting the Research
- Where to Start?;
- Structure of a Research Project;
- Criteria for Research Project Evaluation;
- Presenting Your Research Project;
- Common Errors Found In Student Research Projects;
- Writing Up and Your Project Supervisor.