Business Report Writing
By: HRODC Postgraduate Training Institute
Oct 17 - 04 Nov, 2016
COURSE CONTENTS, CONCEPTS AND ISSUES
Part 1: Report Purposes and Types (1)
Report: Definition, Purposes, Formal and Informal
- What is a Report?;
- Purposes of Reports;
- Informal Reports;
- Formal Reports.
Some Report Types (1)
- Accident Reports;
- Agendas for Committee Meetings;
- Annual Reports;
- Appraisal Reports;
- Audit Reports;
- Comparative Testing Reports;
- Duty Notes Reports;
- Explanatory Reports;
- Feasibility Reports;
- Informative Reports.
Part 2: Report Purposes and Types (2)
Some Report Types (2)
- Instructional Manuals.
- Interview Reports.
- Corporate Financial Reports;
- Process Description Reports;
- Progress Reports;
- Research Reports;
- Scientific Reports;
- Systems Evaluation Reports;
- Technical Reports;
- Technological Reports;
- Trouble-Shooting Reports.
Part 3: Salient Issues Associated with the Use of English in Report Writing
- Elements of Grammar;
Part 4: A Style Guide to Good Report Writing
- Report style;
- Achieving an Appropriate and Effective Style;
- Choice of Words and Phrases;
- Principles of an Effective Report Writing;
- Report Draft;
- Revising and Editing the Report;
- Collaborating Writing.
Part 5: Report Characteristics and Organisation
- Components of an Effective Report;
- Agreeing Collaborative Objectives;
- Techniques in Ordering Report Information;
- Purpose of an Executive Summary;
- Writing an Executive Summary;
- What is an Abstract?
- Formulating an Abstract;
- Organising Contents and Indices;
- Enhancing Business Report Presentation.
Part 6: Empirical Research for Business Reports
- Participant Observation;
- Conversation Analysis;
- Documentary Analysis;
- Focus Groups;
Part 7: Information Sources for Business Reports
- Sources of Information:
- Secondary Sources;
- Primary Sources;
- Reviewing Literature;
- Choosing The Methodology;
- Qualitative Approaches;
- Quantitative Approaches;
- Triangulating’ the Methodology.
Part 8: Sampling for Business Reports
- The Sampling Frame;
- Sampling Techniques:
- Convenience or Non-random Samples;
- Quota Sample;
- Systematic Sample;
- Probability or Random Samples?;
- Simple Random Sample;
- Stratified Sampling;
- Multi-stage Sampling.
Part 9: Data Elicitation for Business Reports: Interview or Questionnaire?
- Using Unstructured Questions;
- Using Open-ended Questions:
- Designing Closed-ended Questions;
- Avoiding Forced-choice.
Part 10: Data Analysis and Interpretation for Business Reports
- Instruments of Analysis:
- Using a ‘Tally System’;
- Using SPSS Package;
- Using Excel Package;
- Data Interpretation:
- Making Sense of The Information;
- Identifying ‘Trends’ & ‘Patterns’ in Information;
- Arriving At Conclusions;
- Reporting The Findings;
- Reporting Styles;
- Using the Evidence.
Part 11: Analysing Data for Complex Business Reports
- Qualitative and Quantitative Data;
- Requirements for Accurate Data Analysis;
- Data Preparation;
- Nonstatistical Analysis;
- Statistical Analysis;
- Levels of Data Interpretation.
Part 12: Planning and Delivering an Oral Report
- Planning the Report Presentation;
- Preparing and Using Presentation Aids;
- Rehearsing the Presentation;
- Managing Question-and-Answer Sessions;
- Team Presentation;
- Ethical Considerations.
Part 13: Business Report Presentation
- Business Report Structure:
- Word Processing;
- Layout and Design;
- Paper Choice;
Venue: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia