Piping Stress Analysis (ASME B31.3) and CAESAR II
By: Mainprops Technology Limited
Lagos State, Nigeria
Nov 01 - 04 Nov, 2016
This course is aimed at exposing the participants to the calculations that address the stresses that piping systems are subjected to. It covers the types of loads on the systems and stresses caused by the loads, methods of resolving these stresses, layout solutions, flexibility analysis, support span calculations and the use of industry standard software for piping stress analysis.
- Objectives and Definition of Stress Analysis
- Critical Line List
- Information Required for Stress Analysis
- Piping Loads - Static and Dynamic
- Static and Dynamic Analysis
- Forces, Moment and Stress Calculations
- Requirements of ASME B 31.3 Code - Sustained Loads, Thermal Expansion and Occasional Loads
- Classification of Loads
- Solutions for Piping Loads
- Pipe Span Calculations
- Span limitations based on Stress, Deflection and Natural Frequency.
- Allowable Pipe Span Calculations
- Suggested Pipe Support Spacing
- Pipe Span Reduction Factor for Elbows, Concentrated Loads etc.
- Selection of Supports
- Location of Supports and Restraints
- Flexibility Analysis - Expansion Loops and Expansion Joints
- Concept of Thermal Expansion
- Providing Flexibility in Piping
- Minimum Leg Required to Absorb Thermal Expansion
- Types of Expansion Loops
- Expansion Loop Sizing for Hot Piping
- Expansion Joints - Types, Application and Selection
- Bellow Materials, Hydrostatic Test Pressure for Bellows
- Guide Spacing for Expansion Joints
- Layout Solutions for Weight, Thermal, Vibration and Wind Loads.
- Causes of Pipe Stress
- Layout Solution for Weight Stress – Continuously Supported & Branch Pipe Allowable Spans
- Solving Concentrated Loads and Reducing Loads on Equipment Nozzles.
- Equipment Nozzle Load Qualifications
- Layout Solutions for Thermal Load using force & Stress
- CAESAR II – Pipe Stress Analysis Software
- Introduction to CAESAR II
- Piping Input Spread sheet
- Modelling of Piping Isometrics - Bends, Reducers, Tees, Valves, Flanges, and Loops etc
- Modelling supports and restraints
- Performing Static Analysis
- Modifying Load Cases
- Hanger Selection
- Set up of Wind Load Cases.
- Set up of SUS, OPE, EXP, HYD, HGR and OCC loads.
- Load Case Editor
- Viewing Reports
- Practical Examples - Input, Analysis and Redesign
What You Should Bring
Participants should bring
- Laptop computer
- Scientific calculator
- Sketch pad
- Note book.
What You Will Learn
- Calculations addressing Stresses (manually and using software) pertaining to piping systems in Chemical plant
- Petroleum refinery
- Gas Processing plant
- Semiconductor and Cryogenic Plants in line with the requirements of ASME B 31.3
Materials - (Your Take Home)
- Training Manuals
- Software (fully installed on your system)
- Charts & Tables
- We Guarantee Knowledge transfer.
- Instructor lead hands-on training
- Assessment quiz and certificate at completion.
- Conducive training environment
- Excellent Material will be Provided
- Industry Leading Software (CAESAR II) used in Training
- Individual Attention
Venue: 115, Allen Avenue, Ikeja Lagos