HAZOPS is one of some significant, systematic and valuable methods to implement critical assessment, evaluation and examination of process and engineering of both new and old processing plant installations. HAZOP Studies have become the cornerstone of today’s process safety in design and modification work. HAZOP Studies provide an effective way of reviewing plant interaction both in the offshore and onshore industries and have become standard across many industries and accepted by world-wide regulatory bodies. Knowledge and effective participation in HAZOPS are becoming a necessity for Project, Process Design, Safety and Operational personnel.
HAZOP is widely used for identifying hazards in an industrial process and for assessing the potential consequences where there are risks of harm to persons, the environment or to assets. HAZOP is applied at both the design stage and throughout the life of a process plant, where it supports the safety management and (where applicable) the validation of the plant safety case.
This course is designed to understand the technique of identifying hazards associated with petrochemicals and other process plans through PandID drawing examination. Hazards and operability study (HAZOPS) has been well accepted by modern industries as a powerful risk assessment tool, ever since it evolved in industries in around early sixties. In developed countries, HAZOPS becomes a required feature of legislation. They provide some measure of assurance that the process design being examined will be safe and operable when commissioned.
This course is designed to understand the HAZOPS approach to those professionals who required to initiate such studies and to provide participants with a good overview of its techniques and objective. The course also provides an insight into factors, which should be borne in mind of those designing to conduct a HAZOPS study in order to enrich the effectiveness of the study and produce a creative and innovative environment in running the studies.
- A HAZOP is systematic and powerful risk assessment engineering tool to identify hazardous deviations from an original or existing intent.
- It can be highlight where scarce capital expenditure can be directed to those areas where resources need to be applied to meet company as well as government requirements.
- A HAZOP is an ideal medium for process operators and line management to interact with senior management to highlight areas of concern.
- The focus of this course is to develop an understanding of HAZOPS, its methodology and its place within the overall process design and safety management, and to identify the roles of the HAZOPS Team Leader and Participants/Members. These will be achieved through a powerful combination of case studies, group discussions, presentations and interactive workshops. After attending this training/course, the participants will be able to:
- identify technical safety operability problems;
- understand and be familiar with the HAZOPS Concepts and Methods;
- understand and be familiar with Risk Management;
- understand and implement Hazard Identification (HAZID) and Hazard Analysis (HAZAN) and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA); and
- conduct HAZOPS effectively and efficiently.