Banking operations always ensures that finance processes and transactions are executed correctly by minimizing risk and maximizing quality of service.
The five-day workshop has been designed to enable banking professionals gain a broad view and understanding of established and reliable operations, principles, procedures and practices.
There will be technical and theoretical exposures, plus practical activities to implant the skills and knowledge needed by the participants for their performance and productivity on their respective duties in the banking hall.
By the course ends, participants will be able to:
- Explain the customers’ rights and duties
- Explain the bankers rights and duties
- List, describe and discuss the documents needed to open various accounts
- Open and close accounts in line with regulatory requirements
- Explain the Nigeria banker’s clearing system
- Pay and collect cheques in line with regulations
- Identify different types of negotiable instruments in line with the bill of exchange act
- Discuss the concepts of sale and marketing in the business of banking
- Differentiate between marketing and sales
- Identify the necessary actions to be taken in determination of banker and customer relationship.
Banker Customer Relationship
- General and special relationships between banker and customer
- Customer’s rights and duties
- Bankers rights and duties
- Special relationships and duties arising out of banker’s opinions, indemnities, power of attorney, mandate, standing order, direct debit and safe custody
Classification and Documentation of Accounts
- Opening and conduct of accounts for all customers (Personal Accounts, Minor Accounts and Joint Accounts)
- Government – Federal, State and Local government
- Incorporated Organizations – Stockbroking, Partnership, Current Account, Sole Proprietors etc.
- Others – Executors, Administrators, Trustees, Incorporated Trustees, Societies, Clubs, Religious Bodies, NGOs etc.
- Reasons and Procedures for Closing Accounts
Banking Transactions and Payment Systems
- Payments and collection of cheques and other instruments
- The banker’s clearing systems
- Operational process mapping
- Nigerian Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS)
- Debit card / Credit card
- Mobile banking
- Internet banking
- Definition, Types and Distinguishing features
- Promissory Notes
- Protection for the paying and collecting banker
Banker and Customer Relationship under Special Conditions
- Actions to be taken on the death, mental disorder and bankruptcy of customers, dissolution of partnership, winding up of corporate customers, or upon receipt of a garnishee order or court summon / orders.
- Termination of banker’s authority to pay customer’s cheques
A Primer on Marketing of Banking Services
- Marketing concepts and definitions; Marketing vs. Sales
- Marketing of services vs. marketing of physical goods
- Financial services marketing strategies
- Rationale for marketing strategies
- Elements of creative marketing strategy
- Formulating marketing strategies