The course is targeted at professionals who require knowledge and skills on the use of GIS and RS in their organization in the field of disaster management. Participants are welcome from a broad range of organizations including physical planning, institutions, professionals and private GIS and RS related firms.
On completion of this course you should be able to:
- Describe and utilize spatial data, GIS and remote sensing in disaster risk assessment and management
- Utilize existing sources of historical disaster information and elements at risk data
- Apply GIS/remote sensing in hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment
- Employ risk information in emergency preparedness planning
- Visualize hazard and risk information
- Apply GIS/remote sensing to post-disaster damage assessment.
- Introduction to GIS and remote sensing
- Basic concepts of GIS/remote sensing
- Introduction to spatial information
- Handling spatial information
- Disaster assessment
- Risk evaluation
- Spatial planning
- GIS/remote sensing application
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.