Crime analysis is a law enforcement function that involves systematic analysis for identifying and analyzing patterns and trends in crime and disorder. Information on patterns can help law enforcement agencies deploy resources in a more effective manner and assist detectives in identifying and apprehending suspects.
The training is meant to synthesize current concepts mostly of Geographical Information systems and mapping and technological advancements in the field of crime analysis.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- GIS and mapping terminology
- GIS application in crime analysis and mapping
- GIS application in crime solving
- Geocoding of spatial data
- Analysis of spatial data related to crime
Who Should Attend?
The training is meant for persons majorly on law enforcement who want to learn how to integrate GIS and mapping in crime analysis.
- Definition of Core terms
- Types of Crime Analysis
- Crime Analysis Model
Module 2: Introduction to Crime Analysis Mapping
- Historical Overview
- Types of Mapping
- Crime Analysis Mapping
- GIS Components
- Data of geographic features
- GIS toolbox
- Visual display/mapping
- Querying GIS data
- Map Scanning and Conversion
- Creation of Point Map
- Database Design
- Buffer Zone Generation, Queries and Crime Pattern Analyses
Module 3: Introduction to Problem Solving
- Definition of Problem Solving
- SARA Approach to Problem Solving
- Crime Analysis and Problem Solving
Module 4: Data and Geocoding
- Types of Data
- Tabular Data
- Geographic Data
- General Data Integrity Issues
- Data Management
- The geocoding process
Module 5: Spatial Analysis Techniques
- Single Symbol Mapping
- Graduated Mapping
- Graduation By Size
- Graduation By Color
- Classification Methods
Module 6: Crime Analysis Product Format and Dissemination
- Factors to Consider
- Methods of Dissemination
- Components of Crime Analysis Products
- Types of Crime Analysis Products
- General Crime Analysis Product Elements
- Map Design Elements
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.