We live in an era of ICT dominance where governments, businesses, journalists, and citizens alike depend on ICT in a variety of ways. This requires everyone to have a basic understanding of ICT and how to make practical use of it. It doesn’t matter whether you are an ordinary citizen, public employee, or leader. Becoming a competent user of ICT is crucial in one’s career, and particularly necessary for those seeking leadership positions in organizations.
Just to recount how the modern society is deeply intertwined with ICT, you can consider social platforms that rely on it includingFacebook and Twitter, which haveover 1 billion users and 200 million monthly users respectively.
Itis therefore important to equip yourself with relevant knowledge and skills on ICT in order to remain competent and practical. If you are an MP, Senator, MCA, Ward Coordinator, County Coordinator, Governor, Clerk,assistant to Public Official, County assembly Speaker, Chief, Sub chief, public servant, civil servant, or ordinary citizen working in the public or private sector, this course is more valuable to you.
To equip participants with practical skills on ICT and social media with regard to governance and economic and social development.
To familiarize participants with ICT tools and techniques for personal development, public governance, as well as social and economic development.
To impart the knowledge of new communication technologies and their role in building digital citizenships.
Module I: IT Refresher for executive leaders
- Document processing and spreadsheets
- Quick Introduction to IT
Module II: Online Literacy, privacy and security
- Online Information gathering, verification and communication
- Searching the internet
- The world wide web
- Internet and how it works
- A tool for easy and accurate directions everywhere in the world
- Using Google maps
- Introduction to Online security
- Navigation in foreign lands, new places and cities (GPS, GIS)
Module III: Presentations and their roles in governance and public participation
- Microsoft word refresher
- Microsoft Excel refresher
- Creating a PowerPoint Template custom with own logos and corporate colours
- Office Presentation Tool and Tactics
- Inserting graphics and flash applications to PowerPoint
- Power point a tools for communication
- ICT enabled Office communication: Emails, intranet,e-meeting and conferences, and portals
Module IV: Social Media for Social Change and Governance
- What is governance?
- Using Skype
- Working Facebook , G+ hangout and twitter for governance
- Dealing with privacy issues
- The dos and don’ts in using social media for governance
- Using WhatsApp
Module V: Public participation Tools
- Social networks , groups and online community
- Bulk messaging tool for fast, direct, and real time transmission of information
- What is public participation?
- Short code for public participation and feedback
Module VI: ICT Tools and strategies for social engagement in public organizations
- Open government
- ICT Model for social engagement
- Smart government
- Case Studies:
- ICT policy in Kenya
- A review of social media use in government
- How internet campaign changed politics
- E- parliament and ICT based legislation