Many organizations have always tried to reach out to the media in recognition of it as a key partner in popularizing their advocacies. Although they have attempted to share their information with the media by sending out copies of their reports, research, studies, and press releases, we still do not see much activities, issues and perspectives written about or broadcast from organizations. This is definitely NOT because media do not find some organizations newsworthy.
A preliminary survey has revealed and attributed this to:
Lack of skillfully packaged information from organizations to attract media, so that media will find them useful for their purpose.
The fact that most organization workers have inadequate – indeed, sometimes non-existent – media training
How development organizations place their media releases, how they follow them up and how they network with media practitioners. In other words, it is about understanding how media operate and putting media strategies in tune with the media’s operating systems.
At the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Understand a step-by-step, systematic approach to media relations
- Understand the tools to get your organization more visibility and respect in the press:
- Identifying and developing relationships with media practitioners
Who Should Attend
Press Officers, Communication Officers, Public Relations Officers and others who are responsible for publicity and media relations.
- Creating a Media Strategy;
- How to Pitch
- Writing press releases (Practical)
- Organizing media visits
- Organizing press conferences and media briefings
- Writing features; ways to get feature coverage where you need it most
- Writing and distributing Opinion Editorials (op-eds)
- Producing and distributing Video News Releases for electronic media
- Writing factsheets
- Developing fresh story ideas and key messages
- Developing a crisis communications plan
- Opposition messaging and identifying and preparing your spokesperson for the media interview
- Understanding the context within which journalists operate
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.