Negotiation is a give and take decision making process involving two or more persons with different preferences. Simply put, is a process of getting what you want from another person.
In our daily lives everyone is a negotiator as we negotiate with various people every day - our spouses, children , parents , bosses, subordinates , friends, extended family members etc .
Mastering the art of negotiation will enable participants to work more effectively with people from different cultures, hone their interpersonal skills to create and sustain solid relationships in and outside the workplace.
A series of case studies, role plays, self-reflection, simulations and other experiential learning activities will be deployed to make learning real and relevant.
The following will be covered during the program; Definition of Negotiation, Negotiation concepts- WATNA, BATNA, WAP and ZOPA, Types of negotiation, Negotiation outcomes, Key attributes of successful negotiators, Negotiation cycle, Top ten critical skills for effective negotiation, Techniques for effective bargaining, Overcoming negotiation obstacles , Handling difficult and failed negotiations, How to communicate effectively during negotiation using verbal and non-verbal cues , Common negotiation pitfalls and how to avoid them, How to prepare for an impactful negotiation session, Guidelines for successful negotiation, Typical types of behaviors at negotiation sessions and the “Dos and Don’ts “ of negotiation, Tools and techniques for effective negotiation will also be covered.
At the end of this program, participant will :
- Define negotiation and gain some insight into the various negotiation outcomes and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Be equipped with the Mind-Set, Behavioral Traits and Skills-Set of an Effective Negotiator
- Identify differences between soft, hard and principled negotiation
- Approach negotiations with a clear set of strategies and tactics that will guide them through planning to the closing phase
- Apply bargaining techniques and strategies to generate alternatives and options and move negotiations through the bargaining phase to closing.
- Understand the role of communication in negotiation and how to leverage assertive communication, verbal and non- verbal communication cues for good negotiation outcomes
- Deal effectively with different behaviors during negotiation using appropriate tactics
- Apply specific influencing skills to move the negotiation towards a win-win direction
- Gain deeper insight into key negotiation concepts like ( BATNA, WATNA, WAP and ZOPA) and leverage them for more successful negotiation outcomes
- Minimize conflicts , solve problems and Identify barriers to effective negotiation and overcome them
- Handle difficult negotiations more effectively using appropriate strategies and tactics
- Handle failed negotiations using various recovery steps
- Understand common negotiation pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Apply appropriate strategies to deal with negative emotions