Forestry involves the management of a broad range of natural resources within a forested area. We all agree Forestry is complex, dynamic, and multidimensional. GIS technology profoundly and positively impacts the way land managers, timber managers, and forestry specialists manage timber resources. Having accurate geographical information about land is critical to making informed decisions about how to manage it.
Digital maps can be linked to relational databases that store baseline data, topography information, site documentation, and aerial digital photography. Designing and implementing a comprehensive GIS plan is the foundation for sound forest management and wildlife management decisions. Additionally, a GIS plan is an integral part of developing a forest management plan.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Obtain and Integrate data from disparate sources to a GIS System
- Learn the principles of GIS and Remote Sensing and its application in forestry
- Learn how to collect data using mobile phones and GPS in the forestry context
- Learn satellite digital image processing techniques in forest resource management
- Learn how to map forest inventory
- Learn how to handle emergency in the forest context
- Learn how communities can be involved in forest resource management
- Learn how to publish web based map
- Display data in 3D Apply GIS to solve simple practical problems forestry
- Learn forest planning and management skill using remote sensing and GIS
Who Should Attend
People who require additional skills like Forest Planners, foresters, forest conservation technicians.
- Introduction and definitions of key concepts
- Introduction concepts of GIS and remote sensing in Forest resource management
- Planning for a GIS system installation
- Introduction GIS data collection using GPS
- Gathering data using mobile phones using (ODK)
- Integrating GPS data into GIS
- GIS Data sources and types for forestry
- Working with data from different sources
- Geo database creation and maintenance for forest resources
- Attributes manipulation in GIS
- Facilitated practical exercises in working with tabular data in Excel format
- Digital Image Processing Techniques in Forest Resource Management
- Obtaining satellite Imagery for forest resource management
- Satellite Image processing and calibration for resource management
- Forest cover classification using supervised classification
- Forest cover classification using unsupervised classification
- Accuracy assessment and ground Truthing technique
- Forest Land use change detection maps
- Mapping Forest inventory
- Inventory of Forest Land
- Mapping habitat and Species
- Mapping Forest recreation sites
- Mapping forest vegetation type
- Forestry mapping of plantations and zonal mapping
- Mapping water forest resources
- Carbon mapping techniques
- Endangered species management
- Forest Planning and management
- Using GIS and RS in Developing forest plans
- Planning and scheduling of harvesting and planting tree
- Determinations of forest stand conditions and forest health
- Estimation of biomass and productivity
- Environment impact assessment
- Identifying sites for eco-restoration
- Vegetation index analysis
- Monitoring emergencies
- Damage assessment (fire, disease)
- Fire and Emergency Mapping
- Planning of road systems, bridges, water point, and land clearing
- Climate Change Impact on Forests
- Remote sensing and GIS for climate change mitigation in forest ecosystems.
- Forest ecosystem monitoring and modeling
- Participatory GIS
- Public participation in forest management
- Using Google earth in forest resource management
- Web based Publishing for interactive and dynamic maps
- Case studies on use of GIS and remote sensing in forest management
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
|DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, NAIROBI KENYA.
||Oct 07 - 18 Oct, 2019
Registration: 08:30:am - 08:30:am
Class Session: 08:00:am - 04:00:am
DUNCAN KARIUKI +254723360025
DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, NAIROBI KENYA.