Development actors prior to intervening in a specific country have to analyze the status of food security in the respective nation. A number of analysis has to be carried out to understand food security in a specific nation. The analysis include; Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analyses-CFSVAs, Emergency assessments and market analyses-EFSA.the development actors use a number of technologies such as GIS, satellite imagery, and mobile applications to analyze and manage data.
Other development actors enter into partnerships to establish Food Security Monitoring Systems (FSMS) for continuous monitoring of food security conditions and market prices. This course will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to analyze the concepts of food security.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Understand food security concepts analysis
- Learn about the implementation of approaches to food security interventions
- Understand the tools and methods used to analyze food security
- Carry out an assessment of community food security
- Understand the policies associated to food security
- Analyze food security via remote sensing and GIS
- Food and security programming monitoring and evaluation
Who Should Attend
This course targets UN partners, governments and NGOs in charge of creating policies, programmes and partnering with WFP to combat hunger. It also targets Agricultural extensions officials partnering with communities, and finance corporations, and research agencies.
- Introduction to food security
- Meaning of food security
- Concepts of food security
- Food indicators
- Food security causes and combating food insecurities
- Approaches of food securities
- Assessment of food security
- Analyzing food security using Food Security Monitoring System (FSMS)
- Food Security Contributing and Non-Food Security Contributing Factors
- Targeting of the poorest groups and various other target groups
- Approaches, methods and tools used by humanitarian agencies to measure livelihoods, food insecurity and vulnerability (Vulnerability Mapping for Food Security)
- Assessment of Food Security
- Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analysis (CFSVA)
- Emergency Food Security Assessment (EFSA)
- Joint Assessment Missions (JAM)
- Crop and Food Supply Missions (CFSAM)
- Tools of Food Security Analysis
- Food policy analysis tools.
- Agricultural commodity market tools
- Agricultural input prices
- Food security indicator and policy analysis tool
- Food Security Analysis using Remote Sensing and GIS
- GIS food security reporting
- Identification of early warning signs and climate change monitoring
- Targeting population
- Food security solutions using remote sensing and GIS
- Food Security Data Collection and Analysis
- Household collection of data
- Food security indicators
- Indicators calculation
- Indicators utilization for food security
- Gender integration in Food Security
- Food Security Monitoring and Evaluation
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.