Government officials responsible for disaster management policy and planning; IFRC/ ICRC; international and local NGOs; NGOs involved in the areas of disaster risk reduction, response and recovery; staff from training institutes and other agencies responsible for knowledge dissemination on disaster risk reduction and management as well as training of trainers; persons involved in coordination of disaster management activities.
On completion of this course you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the humanitarian context and underlying principles that inform disaster risk reduction
- Conduct a risk analysis that effectively identifies hazards, capacities and vulnerabilities of a community
- Identify the stages of the disaster management cycle and appropriate DRR activities at each stage
- Understand ways of strengthening the participation of local aid workers and different organisations in overall mechanisms of disaster risk reduction
- Build collaborative partnerships and effectively coordinate DRR activities with key stakeholders
- Monitor and evaluate risk reduction impacts of programmes
- Effectively navigate the resources relating to DRR and resilience that can inform activities
- Describe the importance of using a participatory approach throughout the disaster management cycle
- Basic disaster management terms and concepts
- Sendai Framework
- Targeted DRR programme options
- Introduction to hazard, vulnerability and capacity assessment (HVCA)
- Introduction to community participatory tools and techniques
- Organising and conducting a participatory risk assessment
- Planning DRR strategies appropriate to the context
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of DRR strategies
- How to incorporate DRR into various humanitarian sectors
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
The instructor led trainings are delivered using blending theory with practice, this course takes you through good practices in the stages of the disaster risk management cycle and the commonly used terminology, frameworks, tools and approaches to effective DRR.
|Datastat Training Center, Nairobi, Kenya
||Dec 23 - 27 Dec, 2019
Registration: 08:00:am - 17:00:pm
Register now and get up to 50% discount!