In today's highly competitive business world, each function within the organization is being called on to show how it contributes to the overall success of the organization. Like many service departments, the purchasing function has come under scrutiny and organizations throughout the world are evaluating whether their purchasing and supply chain management processes add value to the company.
The most proactive organizations are recognizing that these functions play a role that is swiftly becoming part of the development and implementation of carefully crafted strategies. This leads to reduction in operating cost while improving quality and efficiency in acquisition of all goods, equipment, and services.
This course explores key concepts forming the basis of strategic procurement issues and exposes participants to the best practices that confront the purchasing organization today.
The course is targeted at procurement personnel, private and government officials and other stakeholders engaged in the procurement of goods, works and services from national and international sources. Lawyers responsible for drafting, negotiation, or approval of domestic or international agreements for public procurement will also benefit from this course. Others are:
- Procurement/Purchasing Officers
- Procurement/Purchasing managers
- Senior buyers
- Chief procurement/buyers
- Anyone responsible for purchasing at a senior level who seeks to enhance their skills further
- Finance Executives
- Suppliers of goods and services to public entities
- Marketing executives wanting to explore the public sector demand market
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- develop deeper appreciation of the dimensions of supply chain management
- identify the various components of supply chain systems; including public sector supply chains
- appreciate the role of procurement in supply chain management
- articulate the legal framework within which public procurement is practiced
- align the procurement, finance and other organizational functions for optimal efficiency
- identify and apply the various procurement methods available in public procurement including those funded by international donor organizations;
- draft procurement contracts based on any of the various methods available in public procurement
- become more efficient, sophisticated buyers
- Emerging trends relating to general Principles of Procurement
- The role of purchasing and Supply Chain
- Stages of the purchasing process
- The impact of e- purchasing and internal relationships
- Management of working capital
- Cash flow forecasting
- Capital expenditure and revenue expenditure
- The danger of overtrading
Legal Aspects of Purchasing
- Contract and sale of goods law
- Sources of purchasing law
- Law applicable to purchasing
- Overview of other significant laws and legislations
- Contract Negotiation processes
- Successful behaviours
- Selected strategies and tactics
- Role plays to develop skills
Exploring and Developing Terms and Conditions
- The form and structure of contracts
- Performance incentive clauses
- Risk allocation clauses
- Specimen contractual terms.
- The various processes in the Supply Chain
- The structure of a Supply Chain
- What makes a Supply Chain successful?
- The role of inventory and effective Warehouse management in the Supply Chain
- Achieving maximum performance in inventory control
- Understanding and implementing the skills needed for managing and controlling warehouses and inventory in the supply chain
Summarize the steps involved in the completion of procurement
- Understand the role of contract management in the Procurement and Supply Chain Framework
- Understand and apply the use of 32 tactics in contract negotiations
- Select the applicable methods for resolution of disputes in public procurement contracts.
- Practically negotiate using various contract related cases aimed at improving the price
- Build a personal organizational contract profile, contract scoping.