In recognition of the difficulty accounting officers often encounter when dealing with and preparing tax computations and returns, this course has been specially designed to assist candidates to overcome obstacles as well as bridge the gap in their knowledge of up-to-date tax management methods. The course will also promote understanding of the tax authorities, their powers, and operations. The topics and their treatment will equally be a valuable refresher for officers who are more experienced in these issues. In handling the subject matters, emphasis is all on applications and procedures.
Tax Laws and Regulations
Classification of Taxes
Registration for Tax Payments
Obligatory Returns and their Filing
- State Board of Internal Revenue Service
- Federal Inland Revenue Service
- Joint Tax Board
- Technical Committees of the Boards
- Tax Appeal Tribunal
Tax Clearance Certificates and their Administration
- Exemptions and Reliefs
- Multiple (Vexatious) Taxes
- Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion.
Corporate Tax Issues and Computations
- Limited liability business
- Value Added Tax and Stamp Duties
- Education Tax
- Types of Assessment
- Self Assessment Scheme
- Provisional Assessment
- Best of Judgment Assessment
- Relevant Documents and Documentation Procedures
- Filing of Returns and the Timing
- Withholding Tax Treatments
- Penalties for Infringements.
Tax Issues Concerning Individuals
Personal Income Tax
- Pay As You Earn (PAYE) tax computations
- Direct assessment on individuals
- Capital Gain Tax
- Property and investment income tax.
Expatriates Personal Income Tax
Relevant Documents and Documentation Procedures
Exemptions and Reliefs
Penalties for Infringements.