Management Concepts budgeting and performance courses cover all phases of the budgeting process and give students the knowledge, skills, and tools they need to operate effectively in today’s performance driven, resource-constrained environment. Our courses improve effectiveness by developing skills in data analysis and providing the tools to develop more compelling analyses and support sound decision making.
Members of both civilian and defense communities will learn to prepare and track budgets, integrate budget and performance data, make budget presentations, write budget justifications, and justify capital asset investments.
Who Should Attend
The course is geared for researchers and practitioners in all fields. Familiarity with basic time-series, cross-sectional summary statistics and linear regression will be an added advantage
- Learn how to best integrate performance data with the budget process
- Assemble the performance linked budget and justify it to the Department, OMB, and Congress
- Determine performance changes planned for the budget year
- Make changes to ensure that your performance data is being utilized to drive government programs
- Examine the foundations of planning and budgeting
- Compare and contrast key aspects of private sector and governmental planning and budgeting fundamentals
- Identify the purposes of an agency budget and how the key elements of the budget contribute to those purposes
- Establish the performance groundwork
- Build a strategic hierarchy from mission to goals to objectives to activities, including performance measures
- Validate the strategic hierarchy by incorporating strategy maps/logic models/theory of change
- Identify initiatives in the strategic plan that begin in the budget year
- Link performance to budget formulation
- Review characteristics of different budget types and identify the key elements of the performance linked budget
- Align the performance linked budget with the Federal budget calendar
- Identify internal and external sources of quantitative budget data
- Execute the performance linked budget
- Create a cost structure tied to the strategic hierarchy in order to validate the cost of performance change and control those costs
- Capture and report integrated budget and performance data for decision-makers and stakeholders
- Adjust the budget and adjust performance targets to maintain a performance link to the budget
- Interactive exercise and course wrap-up
- Recap performance linked budgeting
- Summarize and integrate strategic planning, performance management, and performance linked budgeting
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
- The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
- All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.