With increasing magnitude and impacts of disasters due to factors that include climate change, rapid urbanization and other human causes, disaster risk management should be deeply embedded in organizational culture and structures. This course explores disaster risk management concepts and practices using practical examples at international up to family level.
The aim of this course is to provide participant not only with a solid theoretical and conceptual understanding of DRM, but also takes you through the practical application of the concept and practices in different settings.
Who Should Attend?
The target audience are practitioners and people who want to develop a career in disaster risk management at national and international level. This includes disaster risk management professionals, development practitioners, government officials, policymakers, consultants, researchers and specialists of training and academic institutions, NGO representatives, humanitarian and community leaders, who are interested in acquiring the fundamental knowledge of DRM and linkages to sustainable development challenges.
Module 1: Disaster Risk Management scope
- international, regional and national
- Community based disaster risk management
- Understanding Disaster Risk Reduction
Module 2: DRM processes
- Information management systems for DRM
- Understanding risk
- Risk analysis process
- Hazard mapping and ranking
- Vulnerability and capacity analysis
- Developing and implementing Standard Operation Procedures
Module 3: Disaster Risk Management planning
- Types and Scope of DRM plans
- Contingency Planning
- Early warning systems
- Plan Activation and review
Module 4: Disaster response systems and practices
- International response systems
- National Response structures
- Incident Command Centre
- Assessment planning and implementation
- Resource mobilization for response
Module 5: Disaster and Development
- Disaster risk management and project planning
- Livelihoods and resilience
- Mainstreaming DRR into development
- DRM-gender, environment, HIV and AIDS
- All our courses can be Tailor-made to participants needs
- Presentations are well guided, practical exercise, web-based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are expert with more than 10years of experience.
- Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with Foscore development center certificate (FDC-K)
- One-year free Consultation and Coaching provided after the course