The demands of a competitive business environment, the emergence of a more transformative approach to leadership and the emphasis placed on employee empowerment and accountability, have all resulted in the growth in the use of coaching, mentoring and other career development activities in workplaces worldwide. An effective coaching, mentoring and career development process will include a range of techniques from communication skills, counselling techniques, human psychological processes and an understanding of human development. This Human Resource training course in Kenya will introduce participants to the core skills of Workplace Coaching, Mentoring and Career Management principles.
By the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective coaching skills
- Utilize modern coaching and mentoring techniques in the workplace
- Apply motivational coaching techniques
- Plan and structure coaching and mentoring plans for individuals
- Develop career plans suitable for use in an organizational context
- Design and develop comprehensive solutions aligned for organizational success
Who Should Attend?
This training course is suitable for anyone who wishes to develop their skills in coaching others. Participants would be expected to have competence in communication skills, though these will be further developed in this training course. This training course would suit:
- Learning and Development professionals designing development solutions for the organisation
- HR Business Partners
- Managers, Supervisors and Team Leaders
- People who need to coach or mentor others in their day-to-day work
Day One: The Coaching Foundation
As a core area, Day One explores the Coaching spectrum to introduce foundational concepts that entrenches a holistic understanding.
- Types of Workplace Coaching
- Distinguishing between coaching, mentoring and counselling
- Key coaching skills for effective performance
- Assessing coaching skills
- Meeting ethical guidelines and professional standards
- Introducing Coaching Models - PEDICR & GROW
Day Two: Advanced Communication Skills for Coaching & Mentoring
- Day Two examines advanced communication skills integral to the coaching and mentoring resolve, which ends with a coaching role play.
- Understanding self & others - personal communication styles
- Importance of Active listening
- SOLER Model for Active Listening
- Effective questioning techniques
- Language - verbal and non-verbal
- Consolidation - Conducting a coaching session
Day Three: Mentoring Techniques and Practices
Day Three examines the mentoring spectrum, which ends with a mentoring role play.
- Objectives and benefits of mentoring
- Corporate mentorship programs
- Most commonly used techniques among mentors
- Mentoring relationships: formal and informal
- Pitfalls to be avoided for effective Mentoring
- Consolidation – Conducting a Mentoring session
Day Four: Learning and Development Principles
Day Four brings all learning together, to drive effective integration and implementation of Employee development initiatives.
- Understanding human development and learning
- The 70:20:10 Model
- Learning Styles – Honey & Mumford
- Best practices in career development
- Developing your career SWOT
- Career planning & Talent Management
Day Five: Enabling Organisations for Effective Performance
Day Five culminates to ensure effective implementation of all Employee development initiatives, specifically on Coaching as a key enabler for organizational success.
- Common workplace issues
- Developing workplace counselling programs (EAPs)
- Managing Workplace Conflict
- Coaching to address and reduce conflict
- Assessing Organisational Readiness for sustainability
- Personal Action Planning
This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.