This seminar stresses learning by doing. Participants will convert specific legislative proposals into the drafting of bills. Instruction will include the basics in drafting common statutory provisions.
The Law Makers – Government Systems Compared
- Institutions of government
- Separation of powers
- Role of the Judiciary
- How the Legislature functions
- The presidential system
- Scrutiny of the Law Makers
Effective Policy Making
- What is policy?
- Sources of policy
- Role and responsibilities in policy making
- Setting policy priorities
- The process of turning policy into new laws
- Gaining buy-in to legal change
The Law-Making Process
- From policy to the draft Bill
- Who does what in making legislation?
- Stages of the process
- Legislative timetables
- Assessing regulatory impact
- How the Bill team functions
Getting Results with Law-Making
- Constraints on the process of making laws
- Amending and developing the law
- Compliance and enforcement
- Avoidance and evasion
- Is legal compliance voluntary?
Legislative Instruments under the Microscope
- Types of legislation
- Primary and secondary legislation
- Dissecting a statute
- Structure and elements of an Act of Parliament
- Assembling the machinery of an Act
- Problems with how laws work
- Principles of drafting
- Alternative approaches
- Planning your draft
- Writing for the reader
- Using plain English
- Dos and Don’ts in drafting
- Writing instructions for the parliamentary draftsman
Stakeholder Participation in Law-Making
- The need for involvement
- Formal and informal consultation
- Consultation processes
- The draft Bill and consultation
- Ethical lobbying
- The role of the public affairs professional
Turning Policy into Practice
- Why do some laws fail to achieve their objectives?
- Effective and ineffective law making
- Education, communication and legal effectiveness
- The challenge of over-complex laws
- How to address legal effectiveness issues
- Alternatives to law making – nudge theory
For Whom: Legal Officers and others who perform related functions
The training methodology combines lectures, discussions, group exercises and illustrations. Participants will gain both theoretical and practical knowledge of the topics. The emphasis is on the practical application of the topics and as a result participant will go back to the workplace with both the ability and the confidence to apply the techniques learned to their duties.
|Alpha Partners Professional Training Conference Centre. 200, Muritala Mohammed Way (3rd Floor), Yaba Lagos.
||Sep 21 - 24 Sep, 2021
|NGN 250,000.00||(The Workshop fee is N250,000.00 (Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira) only per participant to cover workshop literature and materials, executive bag, tea/coffee, lunch, photograph and certificate.)|
Chris Onwuasigwe, FCA – 08033045484 08033045484
5% discount for 3-5 participants and 10% discount for 6 and above number of participants from the same organization.
A distinguished team of facilitators who are eminently qualified professionals has been assembled to lead discussions in course of the workshop.