Advanced technologies in the field of data science are creating a great opportunity for the improvement of decision-making. The number of data gathering initiatives in the developing world is on the rise with the use of such methods such as baseline surveys, Socio- Food Security Surveys, Economic Surveys, Nutrition Surveys Demographic and Health Surveys, Employees surveys, Program Evaluation Surveys, customers and vendor satisfaction surveys, and opinion polls being the most used.
It is essential to involve and enhance individual human judgement in actual development concepts rather than just merely generating new insights from data. This course takes this into consideration by empowering participants with the necessary skills for the production of accurate and cost-effective data that is useful and responsive for decision-making.
The training targets participants with basic knowledge of statistics from the fields of Economics Agriculture, Economics, Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, Education, and Medical or public health, who intend to be conversant with the applications and concepts of statistical modelling. It is required that the participants have a basic knowledge of English.
- Converting data into various formats by the use of appropriate software
- Correctly identifying appropriate statistical test for basic analysis and performing them by the use of SPSS/Stata or R
- Perform simple to complex data management using SPSS/Stata/R
- Design and Implement universally acceptable Surveys
- Performing basic data analysis tasks using SPSS/Stata/R.
- Performing simple-to-complex data manipulation using Ms Excel.
- Using Google Doc and Google maps in the collaboration and sharing of information.
- Put strategies to improve data demand and use in decision making.
- Using GIS software in plotting and displaying data on basic maps.
- Write reports from survey data.
- Understanding and appropriately using statistical terms and concepts.
- Use mobile data gathering instruments such as Open Data Kit (ODK)
Module I: Basic statistical terms and concepts
- Introduction to statistical concepts and GIS for Researchers
- Research Design
- Sources of Data for Social Statistics
- Planning, implementing and completing surveys
Module II: Concepts and Software for GIS mapping, Data Processing, and management
- Data collections method
- GIS mapping for Survey data
- Use of Mobile Phones for collecting and processing (ODK)
Module III: Introduction to Data management and analysis using Ms Excel
- Exploration of survey data using Excel
- Limitation of Excel
- Tabulating and graphing survey data using Excel
Module IV: Quantitative Data Analysis using SPSS/Stata/R
- Survey data management
- Graphing survey data
- Introducing Advanced Statistical software (SPSS, Stata and R)
Module V: Advanced Data Analysis, reporting, dissemination and use
- Introduction to panel data analysis (SPSS/Stata/R)
- Regression analysis (SPSS/Stata/R)
- Report writing for surveys, data dissemination, demand and use
- Statistical Inference (SPSS/Stata/R)
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
- The participant must be conversant with English.
- Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with an Authorized Training Certificate
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and A Certificate upon successful completion of Training.
- One-year post-training support Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
- Payment should be done at least a week before commence of the training, to DATASTAT CONSULTANCY LTD account, as indicated in the invoice so as to enable us prepare better for you.