An intensive course focusing on both the perennial and developing issues in the claim’s management arena
What is this training about?
It is vital for all reinsurers to operate efficient and cost-effective claims management systems to control cost and deliver high levels of service. This is now recognised at a strategic or board level so it’s essential to keep up-to-speed with new developments. Newways presents this NEW practical seminar focusing on the key current issues and best practice for reinsurance professionals to deliver efficient and service driven claims management.
During this concise training programme, you will benefit from the expert practical experience of our faculty of speakers on claims management systems, contract clauses, the approval process and guidelines, long-tail claims and the impact of run-off and insolvency. They will draw on their own extensive experience to highlight issues that can be problematic, efficiencies that can be incorporated using recent cases and industry examples as a reference.
Who should attend?
- Reinsurance claims specialists
- In-house lawyers
- Run-off managers
- Actuaries and other professional advisers
By attending this seminar, you will:
- LEARN to identify the key contract clauses that affect claims
- GET UP TO DATE with the recent developments including the flood claims
- BECOME FAMILIAR with the reinsurance claims approval process
- FIND OUT how to use claims guidelines
- UNDERSTAND the documentation difficulties encountered when dealing with long- tail claims
- Sample Programme
Key contract clauses from a reinsurance claims perspective – Part 1
- Scope of business covered
- Commencement and termination
- Definitions of loss occurrence and of one risk
- Follow the settlements
Key contract clauses from a reinsurance claims perspective – Part 2
- Claims co-operation clauses and claims control clauses
- Importance of clauses being conditions precedent
- Notification of loss
- Impact of recent cases
Inspection of records
- Why inspect?
- On what basis?
- Review of sample clauses
- The practical and legal effects of an inspection
- Confidentiality agreements and protocols
Current developments affecting the reinsurance market
- Case law concerning discovery obligations on reinsurers
- Recent cases on insolvency-related issues and on discovery issues
Long tail claims and the difficulties in tracking down relevant documentation
- Why are long tail claims different?
- Documentation – policy and claims
- What types of documents exist?
- How? Research, sources and records
Reinsurance claims management
- Introduction to reinsurance claims management
- African claims management
- Continental European claims management
Run-Off and insolvency and its impact on reinsurance claims
- How to assess the likelihood of reinsurer insolvency
- Obligations of the insolvent reinsurer to the claimants
- The domino effects
- Alternatives to insolvency
Market electronic claims file
- History – Market principles
- Outline of the system
- Legal framework – the repository rules
- Latest developments and upgrades