Who Should Attend? This short course is designed for junior to mid-senior level reservoir engineers who want to “fast track” in reservoir simulation by a comprehensive overview of the key topics and practical aspects.
- Numerical physics of reservoir simulation.
- Data requirements for conducting a study
- Current practice in using coarse and finely gridded models to incorporate heterogeneity
- Simulation study approach which leads to a quality result.
- Different types of models available, i.e. compositional, dual porosity, etc.
This training course will provide a comprehensive coverage of the simulation key topics, challenges, pitfalls and the approach to a quality result.
The participants will be trained in the methods and use of simulation software for practical exercises throughout this course.
- Formulation of equations
- Coordinate geometries and model types
- Reservoir simulator features
- Well modelling overview
- Building the model
- Defining initial conditions
- History matching
- Fine vs. coarse gridding, Upscaling, LGR, Heterogeneity modelling
- Pseudo functions, Vertical Equilibrium
- Compositional reservoir simulation
- Simulation of fractured reservoirs - numerical model, matrix-fracture exchange, recovery processes
- Simulation Walkthrough
- Overview of the simulation process: Conducting a study