An extensive but very practical training workshop designed to provide practitioners with:
- A systematic approach to the control of all operational risks within an ERM culture.
- A pre-emptive control strategy providing the ability to identify, monitor and control those key areas of exposure.
- The skills to analyse, measure and manage, operational risk, using best practice techniques, in line with Basle 2 requirement.
- Ability to detect and control the potential for fraud and manipulation.
- How to protect your Institution against a “rogue trader”.
- An introduction to the latest Responsibility Management philosophy and practice which will create the correct environment for high quality, risk mitigation and success.
- Understand and define the emerging/evolving role of today’s C.R.O. and other risk departments.
- The experience to develop a properly focused management information structure to promote risk awareness and facilitate control.
- The knowledge to identify, control and reduce both visible and hidden costs.
This unique training workshop addresses the fundamental causes of risk and provides the delegate with a simple, Systematic Control and Management Programme to achieve control.
Who Should Attend?
The course will be of value to professionals in the following areas:
- Senior and Middle Management who are concerned about Risk.
- Compliance Staff.
- Operations Managers.
- Accountants and Consultants.
- Middle Office and Risk Managers.
- Financial and Product Control Staff.
- Treasury Managers.
- Auditors and Internal Control Officers.
- IT and EDP Operatives.
Crucial Benefits of Attending
- Find a systematic and simple way to solve your most difficult problems.
- Understand the crucial role of a responsible management philosophy in controlling risk.
- Develop the skills to provide focused information media which will provide the catalyst for effective risk control.
- Recognise the value of an experienced and well-motivated Operational Risk team.
- Learn how to focus on those few important areas, rather than get bogged down with trivia.
The Problem of Risk
Risk cannot be eliminated from the trading, processing and control cycle, for without risk there can be no profit. It follows that those companies that can most effectively control risk will be the most successful. Operational risk is present in many different forms and small problems can quickly escalate into major losses if not prevented at source. Any effective control system must therefore be preventative as well as reactive and must cover all areas of the company’s operations.
This course will show delegates how the correct mix of philosophical and operational elements combine together to ensure success. It provides a simple structure for control and automatic mechanisms for detection and resolution of problems, using an evolutionary approach.
A series of real life case studies vividly illustrate where problems originate and how they can be solved in a simple systematic way. They are delivered using a participative and highly inter-active style of delivery by mature practitioners with many years of successful experience of risk control, in a wide range of activities.
The Systematic Approach
The control process must be part of a coordinated risk control strategy, centrally managed and operated by highly experienced and skilled operatives.
Recent experience has shown that expensive and highly complex technical risk detection and quantification systems have not, in themselves, prevented the huge losses that have occurred. In some respects they have tended to overcomplicate and cloud the basic issues involved. There is no substitute for a highly experienced and well motivated workforce and those that ignore this do so at their peril.
In fact, the solution to this problem is far easier than is supposed. A simple analysis of why difficulties have occurred has led us to the conclusion that the same, basic, generic cause elements were present in each case and detection and prevention could have been very easily achieved.