Since the global financial crisis, corporate board members and senior staff have been under pressure to enhance their understandings of risk management.
In the UK this has been formalized into law through the Corporate Governance Code, and similar measures are taking root across the globe. In particular, non-executive directors are now required by most large institutions to demonstrate some understanding of risk management in order to undertake oversight responsibilities.
This course is designed to help you understand how to respond to this challenge.
On completion of this innovative three day course, you will be able to:
- Gain a better understanding of the role of directors and senior executives in overseeing, understanding and leveraging risk management
- Understand the envisaged role of directors in light of the Walker Report, OECD reports, The Turner Review and other commentaries
- Learn how to establish executive risk management committees
- Learn how to establish a risk profile and risk appetite
- Understand the purpose, process and function of the core risk areas: credit, market and operational
- Understand these risk exposures in relation to the company’s overall core business operations
- Learn how information from these functions should be reported and technological and IT considerations
- Gain a better understanding of the primary questions to ask of risk management heads during the oversight process
- Learn how and when to form a risk committee
- Learn how the risk committee should be structured and function in relation to other committees, particularly the audit committee
- Understand risk management within the context of major initiatives (e.g., Basel III and its Internal Capital Adequacy Assessment Process (ICAAP)
Who should attend?
- Chief Executive Officers
- Board members
- Chief Operational Officers
- Chief Risk Officers
- Chief Financial Officers
- Heads of Risk Management
- Heads of IT and other primary functions
- Board members
- Fund Managers
- Investor Representatives
|Johannesburg Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa
||Nov 10 - 12 Nov, 2014
The course instructor is an experienced executive, Chief Risk Officer (CRO), board member and consultant. He is the founder and CEO of a consulting firm that conducts investment due diligence of corporates and banks, specialising in emerging and frontier markets. He is a sought after speaker on risk oversight, strategy and corporate governance but has also trained numerous management teams in predictive analytics, market intelligence acquisition and internal model development for Basel II & Basel III purposes.