In recent decades, it has been observed that there is a rapid change in climatic conditions and this has resulted to several negative effects on human activities and development especially in agriculture and the environment. There is little awareness and understanding of the changing world in the rural areas where majority of agriculture and rural development activities are carried out. Officers involved in agricultural and rural development activities do not have adequate capacity to inform and manage issues resulting from climate change. Thus, there is need to equip them with the necessary knowledge and skills in managing the effect of climate change for the development of agriculture and the environment.
This training workshop is aimed at equipping participants with the relevant knowledge and skills to create awareness as well as manage the effects of climate change in ARD. At the end of this training, participants should be able to:
- Explain the concept and effect of climate change in ARD
- Identify factors responsible for climate change
- Identify mitigation and adaptation strategies for managing the effects of climate change
- Identify and make use of best practices in managing the effects of climate change
- Overview of climate change
- Causes and effects of climate change in agricultural and environmental development.
- Mitigation and adaptation strategies to climate change.
- Environmental disaster risk management in agriculture and rural development
- Natural resource management and biodiversity conservation
- Appropriate methods in climate change management
- Climate change and sustainable development
- Food system activities
- Gender issues in climate change.
- Geographical Information System (GIS) and climate change.
Lecturettes, group discussions, case studies, exercises etc.
Who Should Attend?
Agricultural Development Officers, Environmental Protection Agencies, Agro-industrial Companies, Emergency Response Officers, Officers in National Parks and Gardens, Extension Officers, Finance Institutions, Insurance, Cooperatives, Community Development Officers, NGOs, and CBOs.