This workshop has a peculiar nature of administration and governance. It plays a catalytic role in bringing state and federal service delivery to local communities. Its primary function is to plan, design and execute policies of government for the socio-economic and political development of the people within its areas of jurisdiction. In carrying out this catalytic role, local governments are expected to commit some public resources (including human, financial and material) for which they are held responsible by the people. It is therefore imperative that the local government resources at the disposal of public officers be effectively, efficiently and economically utilized to achieve desired goals. The leadership and management of local governments must be equipped with the right knowledge, skills and attitude to translate government financial policies into actions, and carry out effective planning, commitment and utilization of available resources.
The workshop is designed to equip Commissioners and Permanent Secretaries of Local Government Ministries, Chairmen of Local Government Service Commissions, Local Government Chairmen, Councilors, Secretaries, Treasurers and Heads of Department with in depth knowledge, skills and techniques for effective management and administration of local government financial resources. It will also equip them with the skills for the development of financial strategies to meet the socio-economic and political challenges of transforming local governments for performance improvement and national development.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Set financial objectives for local governments
- Prepare and implement a realistic budget for local governments
- Identify viable sources of funds for local governments and develop sustainable strategies
- Apply due process in Local Government Procurements and Contract Management
- Analyse methods of managing local government financial resources effectively and efficiently
- Appraise local government financial performance
- State their achievements to various stakeholders.
Mrs. S. O. Adetimenhin