Sustainability practices in the Nigerian financial services sector are taking a much more strategic turn mainly as a result of the introduction of the ‘Nigeria Sustainable Banking Principles”. These principles are the results of the commitment of the Nigerian Bankers Committee and the Central Bank of Nigeria, as well as a sharp departure from the view of CSR as corporate philanthropy alone.
The principles include an over-arching set of guidelines relating to the banks; direct impact on communities and environment as a result of their business operations, as well as the indirect impact on communities and the environment arising from their lending and investment activities. The principles also include a commitment to raising awareness and developing meaningful local capacity to manage the merger of environmental and social risks and opportunities within banking operations internally and externally.
In light of the constraints and changes in the economy of Nigeria, as well as growing awareness on the importance of sustainability, a good understanding of and implementation of these principles are therefore pertinent. The global market is shifting and business models are doing likewise to meet the demands of the new trends in the economy.
- The Nigerian Financial Services Sector and Sustainability - Trends and Issues
- Nigerian Sustainable Banking Principles
- Business Case for Sustainable Banking and Finance: Basics and Opportunities
- Responsible Practices in Banking Operations and Workplace (including Health and Safety, Work /
- Life Balance and Human Rights)
- Economic, Environmental and Social Risk and Impact Assessment
- Governance and Risk Management in the Financial Service Sector
- Sustainable Project Finance
- Responsible Investment in Emerging Markets
- Sustainability Reporting and Investor Relations
- Re -thinking the Role of Financial Institutions in the Society
Managing directors, executive directors, general managers, personnel in Sustainability and Customer Protection, Credit and Risk assessment, CSR, Project Finance/Management, Investor Relations, Corporate Affairs in the banking and financial services sector