The need for a sound, effective and efficient accounting system in the public sector cannot be overemphasized, particularly with the current economic restructuring and transforma-tion in the country. Public sector establishments are required to be IPSAS compliant to minimize bureaucracy and related overheads, manage their financial resources more competently and become more focused.
This training workshop is designed to equip participants with the skill to effectively account for the financial resources of public enterprises in Nigeria.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply appropriate public sector finance and accounting resources techniques to achieve result
- Effectively manage public sector funds
- Identify the problems associated with public sector finance management and proffer solutions
- Generate financial information for quality managerial decisions
- Use the public sector budget as an instrument for directing and achieving appropriate goals
- Use computer-based accounting and financial information systems.
- Public sector accounting: an overview
- The basis of accounting in the public sector
- Presentation of financial statement (IPSAS-1)
- Principles and procedures of book keeping in public sector organizations
- Disclosure of financial information about the general government sector (IPSAS-22)
- Presentation of budget information in financial statement (IPSAS-24)
- Budgetary control measures
- Accountability and transparency in the public sector
- Sources and administration of funds
- Financial control measures in the public sector
- Role of public accounts committee
Methodology: Lectures, discussion, syndicate work, case studies and exercises. Audio-visual aids will be used to reinforce these learning methods.
Directors of finance and accounts; heads of accounts division; accountants in federal and state ministries, parastatals and corporations; treasurers and accountants in local government councils; budget officers in public sector organizations; financial analysts; consultants and advisers in public sector organizations as well as internal auditors.
Mode of Assessment for Certification: 100 per cent attendance/active participation.
Contact Person: Mrs. A. O. Amira