A permit to work system ensures that formal validation and authority is given when hazardous work is to be undertaken. It ensures that all components of a safe system of work are established before high risk work commences, thereby controlling and reducing risk to individuals and the organization. The permit to work is also a means of communication and control between site managers, supervisors, contractors and those carrying out the hazardous work.
This training program has been structured for those responsible for implementing a permit to work systems, new employees selected by the organization for issuing and signing off permits to work, existing personnel in the organization who issue and sign off permits that require training.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand that permit to work are a compulsory tool especially for non-routine jobs
- Understand that company approved standards need to apply in carrying out tasks
- Help persons to identify possible risks associated with the work and precautionary measures to be taken.
- Understand the PTW system as a basis for monitoring and ensuring that the specified precautions are taken.
- Understand that the responsible person in a facility must be aware and gives approval for any task to be carried out.
- Arm authorized persons with requirements/expectations from a Permit to Work system.
- Safety Officers/Managers
- Personnel responsible for implementing a permit to work system in their organization
- New employees selected by their organizations for issuing and signing off permits to work
- Old employees in various organizations who issue and sign off permits that require training
- Contractors and vendors on various sites/locations
This training will be highly participatory and interactive through face to face lectures. It will involve lectures delivered in power point presentation, discussions, syndicate work, case studies and role-plays. Audio-visual aids will be used to enhance learning.